Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Gift

I had several entries for this contest and though it was a tough decision, none touched me quite like this one. It's the story of a mother's love....a love that was there long before she even began her journey down the path of motherhood. A brief excerpt from this beautiful story:

"Anna, meaning; grace or favour, or as her mother refers to her, The Gift. Anna is the gift after 730 days, countless dollars, 3900 hundred miles, and hundreds of minutes slowing passing filled with yearning for one deserving mother. A mother's whose eyes well up in tears over a year later when she talks about her gift, her Anna...

Anna's mother and father chose not to have biological children due to the risk of passing on a serious genetic disorder that her father struggles with on a daily basis. Their passion to become parents led them on a two year journey through two countries, legal systems, and heartbreak. This journey proves love is patient...

You may ask, why does this family deserve this opportunity? If the journey described above does not convince you, I ask, have you ever felt love in a room? Heard it in a voice? Recognized it through tears in a mother's eyes? I have seen and felt all of the above when I have talked about Anna with her mother. I have heard spoken words, through a mother's story, of how her daughter smiled, laughed, or said a word. Her tears of joy let me see her raw, heart wrenching love. I have been touched by this remarkable family and had a glimpse at the wonder, joy, and meaning of motherhood before I became of mother myself."

This very deserving mother - and the wonderful friend who chose to write about her - will both receive a $250 gift certificate to Essence to spend as they choose. If this tale did for you as it did for me, you are thanking your lucky stars that you were graced with a child, or children, with whom to love....our gifts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home