Saturday, September 16, 2006

Work of the Heart

This morning, I was browsing through posts on one of the photography forums I belong to. The particular area I was looking at was for photographers to post their recent sessions. As I'm browsing through, a couple caught my eye. I noticed that on the first two pages of posts there were at least two that were photo sessions done for families of ill children, or for grieving parents. As I'm reading these horribly heart-warming (yet heart-wrenching) stories, I am amazed at the courage these families must have. I cannot begin to imagine (nor do I ever want to) what life must be like during that time. Most of us have been blessed with happy, healthy children and spouses, yet that's not the case for everyone. As those posts showed me, it is happening all the time, right around us.

I have been a proud member of The American Child Photographers Charity Guild for a little over a year. Yet, I have never once been called on to offer my services for any family. While that gives me a slight sense of relief, it also deeply saddens me. Just because I'm not getting the calls doesn't mean that children and/or their parents aren't being diagnosed with serious, sometimes critical, illnesses. It just means that I didn't get a call. Maybe they were unaware of these types of charities....maybe they thought it would be silly to do....maybe they thought it would be too difficult.......

With seeing those few sessions this morning and thinking about the calls that I have never received, I wanted to post to ask all of you...Please. If you know of anyone who is need of this service, have them get in contact with a photographer that belongs to an organization such as the one listed above. While I can't imagine how difficult a session of this type would be, I also can't imagine what it would be like to have no pictures at all...

If you'd like more information on the charity I mentioned above, or the "Now I lay me down to sleep" foundation, please visit their websites below. And, please...spread the word.

www.acpcg.com (American Child Photographers Charity Guild - seriously and critically ill children and parents)
www.nilmdts.com (Now I lay me down to sleep - early infant loss)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home